The Letter...

Time, it makes fools of us all.
It can make us strong,
It can make us fall;
There's no escaping its grasp thus long.

I took her for granted,
Every day, in every way.
She drove and took care of me,
Yet, nary a "Thanks" did I say.

She planned everything for us:
Vacations, a home, a future life;
While all I did was swear and curse
At this kind, patient angel who'd have been my wife.

Yes, I was unreasonable and an uncouth bore.
She'd make time for me even though her body was sore.
I realise now that she deserves so much more.
Alas, all I can do is beg, plead, and implore.

I pray that she takes me back,
So that I can begin to atone for my mistakes.
Until my body aches and my bones crack,
I vow to bring her happiness, whatever it takes.

I swear, it won't be like before.
I'll do all that you ask and more.
These aren't just empty promises too,
This time, I mean it, I truly do.

This time round, I'll plan everything;
Place you on a pedestal up high;
Be your chauffeur, take your chiding;
And never let you sigh.

Unfortunately, it's too late.
She won't give me one final chance.
She's happier now and that's great.
She doesn't need a relationship or romance.

For her birthday,
We'd go for a candle light picnic in a park;
Underneath the moon and stars that pale thus stark,
In comparison to her beauty, in every way.

Then we'd rent a small place of our own,
I'd make breakfast, lunch, and dinner for her every day.
Listen to her stories with glasses of wine;
Then repeat lines two and three until we're old and gray.

I've changed, but time makes a fool of me
For I took too long to realise my sins.
Now, those dreams will remain forever,
As dreams in their bins.

I don't know if she's reading this,
But if she is,
All I ask is for a year to bring you bliss,
And if I fail, I shall leave you in peace.

No comments: